Internal medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with the prevention and treatment of diseases of internal organs, such as the heart, blood vessels, lungs, digestive organs, etc.
An internist is a doctor that has specialized in internal medicine. Its biggest role is to help the patients regain their general health, and to prevent additional complications that can occur if the diseases are not treated.
Subspecialist branches of internal medicine are:
In our hospital you can schedule a routine examination to check your current health condition.
Endocrinology belongs to the branch of medicine that deals with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific hormonal balance.
The essence of every diagnostic procedure is to discover the place, cause and size of the imbalance, and the therapeutic approach is to return the system to equilibrium, or more precisely to a harmonized state.
The basic therapeutic approach, unlike many other medical branches, is to compensate for what our body cannot create enough or at all, and less often to neutralize excessively created matter. Therefore, these conditions can often be chronic and require the individual to adapt to the changing conditions.
Clinical knowledge and experience are required to recognize such conditions, as well as a specific approach to explain the complexity of their condition to patients in a way they can understand.
Specific conditions where an endocrinologist is needed are:
* Reproduction-disorders of the menstrual cycle, changes in libido, sexual function, changes and therapy of certain conditions during pregnancy, menopause and andropause, sterility.
* Growth and development - special monitoring of normal linear growth in children
* Puberty and changes in the time of onset, and manifestation of puberty
* Body weight issues,
* Thyroid gland dysfunction (with ultrasound of the thyroid gland)
* Diabetes, insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome
* Arterial hypertension of endocrinological origin
* Bone changes, Rickets, Osteoporosis
* Endocrinological changes in other conditions such as long and excessive use of corticosteroid drugs
* Undrown testicles in boys
* Increased hairiness in women
For all conditions, specific endocrinological tests are performed, such as T4 and TSH in suspected thyroid disease. A1C test in diabetes, obesity in pregnancy, polycystic ovaries syndrome, for the detection of sex hormone disorders, insulin and a clonidine test for low growth detection, etc. Of course, as an endocrinologist, Dr Slavica Dautović has both the knowledge and experience in the approach of children, and also adults.